The American animated superhero series “X-Men ’97” is a continuation of the legendary project that gained worldwide popularity in the 1990s. The story, based on the Marvel comics of the same name about mutant humans, picks up where it left off about three decades ago. However, the creators have taken care to adapt the “X-Men” universe for the modern audience.
Bo DeMayo will be the showrunner of the “X-Men ’97” project. This is the first project by Marvel Studios based on mutants and it is not connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The premiere of the first episode is scheduled for the autumn of 2023. The project is released on the streaming platform Disney+.
Details about the animated series
The animated series will focus on the familiar lineup of the X-Men (Wolverine, Rogue, Beast, Gambit, Jean Grey, Storm, Cyclops, and Jubilee), led by Magneto (since Professor X left Earth in the original series finale).
Among the new episodes, we can expect to see Cable, Bishop, Morph, Nightcrawler, and Sunspot as additional characters.
There will be quite a few antagonists, including mutant affairs consultant Valerie Cooper, geneticist Mister Sinister, underground mutant leader Callisto, scientist Bolivar Trask (and the accompanying robots, the Sentinels), as well as members of the “Hellfire Club” Emma Frost and Sebastian Shaw.
The following actors from the original series are set to return, with some reprising their previous roles, while others voice new characters:
– Ray Chase as Scott Summers (Cyclops)
– Cal Dodd as James “Logan” Howlett (Wolverine)
– Alison Sealy-Smith as Ororo Munroe (Storm)
– Jennifer Hale as Jean Grey
– Lenore Zann as Anna-Marie Raven (Rogue)
– AJ Locascio as Remy LeBeau (Gambit)
– George Buza as Henry McCoy (Beast)
– Holly Chu as Jubilation Lee (Jubilee)
– Guaynaa Agusti as Roberto da Costa (Sunspot)
– Matthew Waterson as Max “Magnus” Eisenhardt (Magneto)
– Christopher Britton as Nathaniel Essex (Mister Sinister)
Additionally, Annivaas Buaachi, Jay P. Carliak, and Jeff Bennett have been cast in undisclosed roles.